Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday, March 22

As we finish up this week on virtue, I am thinking about just how big moral excellence is.  It affects all areas of our lives - our speech, dress, actions, entertainment, and ultimately our attitudes.  Here in Boise, Roger has been reminding us that the real battle takes place between the ears.  Our thoughts and attitudes determine our actions (and reactions).  This is true for virtue as well.  Psalm 15 talks about this (emphasis mine):


Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle?
Who may dwell in Your holy hill?
He who walks uprightly,
    And works righteousness,
    And speaks the truth in his heart;
He who does not backbite with his tongue,
    Nor does evil to his neighbor,
    Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend;

And...

As he thinks in his heart, so is he... Proverbs 23:7a




Hmmm... not sure how to change the margins back...or the font.  Oh well.  To continue...

Moral excellence will always be challenging.  I enjoyed reading Jennifer's post yesterday about women and how they feel powerless.  Do you see how that also is a mind issue?  The Bible tells us we have unlimited power to do what is good through Jesus:

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.  Phil. 4:13

So putting the two passages together gives us our assignment for today.  Speaking the truth about yourself in your heart can be hard, sometimes.  Today take some time to ask God to open your eyes to your own moral excellence challenges.  Ask Him for help identifying them and working through them.  Then come up with a plan on how to deal with your issue.  You don't need to post your issue(s) but it might be nice to generically post your plan to give others ideas if you want.  When you have completed the assignment post "done."

Done.  I will be putting up verses around the house as a start.  Then I will be asking for God's help to overcome.  So, if you want to know what my issues are, just come over.  hahahaha

3 comments:

Jennifer Froelich said...

:)

I am also putting up notes around my house in conjunction with last week's assignment.

I'll go ahead and share that one thing I struggle with is praying for specific things for myself (for example, that my feet will stop hurting so much so I can keep running!) I know why I have trouble with this and I know what weaknesses lead me to keep having trouble with it, but the truth is I need to pray for myself to be better at it. See the conundrum? :) So, I'm posting notes about praying (in addition to the ones about speech, per Roger's assignment.)

I also have a To Do list app on my phone that annoyingly pings me every day so I have to go over my list of things to do, so I'm adding my specific prayers to that list -- those from last week's assignment and those from this week's regarding identifying and strengthening my weaknesses. :)

I will be gone from the study next week, but look forward to reading it all when I get back.

Thanks for all you put in to this, Debbie. It's very uplifting.

michelle said...

done..I have a plan. I really like the idea of posting scripture around the house, on mirrors and the fridge and so forth...very uplifting. Also obviously continuing to pray and to study!

psychomom said...

I always feel that I have SO MANY issues in my life, so many weaknesses to work on, how do I narrow it down to the most important? I will at least work on the ones about speech that Roger suggested...and I already have made some about trust...