Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday, March 19

So when I went to prepare for today's blog I realized I made a mistake yesterday.  I should have chosen Ruth for the virtue character.  It actually says she was a virtuous woman in Ruth 3:11.  Except for the example woman of Proverbs 31 who didn't actually exist, Ruth is the only woman called virtuous that I know of.  She also was a single, working woman; but she was a widow with an older woman in her care.

Strong's defines the word translated "virtue" this way:

1 a virtuous course of thought, feeling and action. 1A virtue, moral goodness. 2 any particular moral excellence, as modesty, purity.

Strong, J. (2001). Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

So once we have developed even a small amount of faith, the next step is to put that faith into action by developing moral goodness such as modesty or purity.  Modesty is a scarce commodity in today's society.  As we head into summer, it once again becomes an issue for ladies young and old.  There are many ways to be immodest, but an obvious one is dress.  I heard of a study done on young men which showed that anything above the knee was a temptation to them.  I haven't been able to document that; however, I have found several sources saying that anything above the knee is unprofessional because it is distracting.  Isn't that the same thing?  These same sources mention that low necklines and tight fitting clothes do the same thing. (To see for yourself, simply google "professional dress for women.")  What the world calls unprofessional, the Bible calls immodest.  The world says it's OK to be unprofessional outside of work.  But we never leave our profession of being a servant of God.

Today's assignment is to focus on this part of virtue.  Find two passages that speak about women being modest or immodest in some way.  Then think about Ruth and how your passages would apply to her.

6 comments:

psychomom said...

1 Tim. 2:9-10 "in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works."

Proverbs 7 talks about a young man who is ensnared by a wicked adulterous woman, and one of the ways she "advertises" what she wants is "the attire of a harlot". I have to assume that harlots back then used the same kind of advertisement that they do now. It also says that she was loud and rebellious and would not stay home...lurked at every corner...caught him and kissed him and had an "impudent face". Things don't change much, do they, except now young women (and not so young) find it okay to dress and act that way all the time, dressing sexy and being forward with men sexually. I think this chapter really describes immodesty well, in action as well as dress.

Ruth was the epitome of modesty, living a quiet and obedient life, listening to her mother-in-law, and being helpful and hard-working.

Amber said...

I Peter 3:3-4 “Do not let your adorning be external-the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.

I Corinthian 6:19-20 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

I love the Story of Ruth and Boaz because it truly is one of the best love stories in the bible and is such a great reminder of how our behaviors in both attitude and dress (which really go hand in hand) reflect the type of men we’ll attract. Ruth was left with some very difficult circumstances and she knew that her life would not get any better unless she picked up the pieces and kept going. Dressing to impress or as some would say, “throwing herself at him” would have done nothing to attract Boaz to her. He saw that she was not only loyal to God, but her family, knew of her good reputation, and saw her humility...all of which was appealing to him.

She knew she belonged to God and glorified Him in the way she conducted herself. THAT was what landed her an honorable/ God-fearing husband who showed the upmost respect towards her, vowing to take care of her. I know my kids are still very young, but that is what I pray for when I think about what will become of their future. I pray that they stay true to who they are, set themselves apart from the world, strive to be like the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31, and let their grace and gentle spirit be what sets them apart and attracts them to the right kind of men. And likewise, for them to find these virtues equally important when it comes to looking for the right kind of guy to date (not until their 20’s:-) and eventually the kind of husband they aspire to marry. I definitely agree that it all starts with modesty. And what I’ve been learning as I raise two young girls...you can never start too young.

The Lady said...

Good comments, Amber. I'm glad you are starting young, because as you said, you can never start too young.

The Lady said...

Here you go, Ann. I found your comment in my email:

psychomom has left a new comment on your post "Tuesday, March 19":

1 Tim. 2:9-10 "in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works."

Proverbs 7 talks about a young man who is ensnared by a wicked adulterous woman, and one of the ways she "advertises" what she wants is "the attire of a harlot". I have to assume that harlots back then used the same kind of advertisement that they do now. It also says that she was loud and rebellious and would not stay home...lurked at every corner...caught him and kissed him and had an "impudent face". Things don't change much, do they, except now young women (and not so young) find it okay to dress and act that way all the time, dressing sexy and being forward with men sexually. I think this chapter really describes immodesty well, in action as well as dress.

Ruth was the epitome of modesty, living a quiet and obedient life, listening to her mother-in-law, and being helpful and hard-working.

michelle said...

1 Timothy 2:9
in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing.

It doesn't say the word modest or modesty but the fig leaves that Adam and Eve had sewed together (Gen 3:7)were evidently not modest enough because in v. 21 "God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

Anonymous said...

I have been so blessed that my oldest has always been very modest even with the type of swimming suit she will wear. I believe that as a mother, I set the example for what modest is; therefore, I dress modestly (and am unfashionable according to my girls).

1 Corinthians 8:13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall. (This isn't the scripture I was trying to find about causing someone to struggle. I think a lack of modesty causes many to struggle and have sinful thoughts and desires.)