Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday, May 3

Our last day in this study has arrived.  I hope it has been edifying to you and that you will continue to add the characteristics Peter mentions to your faith your whole life.  It is absolutely a life-long battle, race, fight, adventure...

Today I want to focus on the ultimate example of love.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

There are so many good principles in these two verses that we should apply to our lives.
1.  Love acts.  It sees a problem that can be fixed and does what it can to fix it.
2.  Love is selfless.  It gives whatever is needed without thought of reward.
3.  Love has a purpose.  It works to save others - not enable, but save.
4.  Love is honest.  To really see the problem, it has to be honest.  No sugar-coatings here.
5.  Love can cause the giver pain.
6.  Love is based on what is real.  This is related to being honest, but the honesty is based on God's Word, not feelings or culture or society's view of what is best.

I'd love for you to share any other insights you see here.  When I stop to think about what love really is, I see a clearer picture of who God really is; and I am humbled and amazed at His essence.  And this good God loves you and me.  He is willing to do whatever it takes to save you and me from an awful destination except take away our free will.  He not only loves us, but shows us how to love both Him and those around us.  When this becomes our ultimate motivation, fuel, anchor, and focus it is no wonder that Peter says we will be guaranteed an entrance into heaven.

Your assignment for today:
Share a time when you experienced unconditional love from someone and tell how it affected you.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a couple of weeks ago, I jumped all over Drew because I misunderstood something he said. To my ears, it sounded very disrespectful, but I was wrong.

Drew reacted very strongly, accepting blame immediately. Tara had to tell me that I misunderstood him and when we talked about it, I realized she was right.

I was really upset with myself. It's so important for Drew to have someone who understands him and trusts him, and I had failed him in both of those things. I asked for him to forgive me and he immediately did.

But as I was making dinner later, I still felt so bad. Tara walked in and saw the look on my face and came over to give me a hug. "I'm a jerk," I said. She said, "Didn't you always teach us that everyone makes mistakes?"

It was so encouraging and awe-inspiring to receive that kind of love from my kids. :)

Jennifer Froelich said...

Okay, that wasn't Tara, that was me.

The Lady said...

Aren't children the greatest example of unconditional love in human form (except for Jesus, of course)? And how it draws us to them! It's no wonder Jesus said we have to become like them to enter the kingdom of heaven. Thanks for all your comment Jennifer.

psychomom said...

Debbie, I just wanted to express how much I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put together this study. I know there wasn't as much participation as was anticipated (I am guilty of not keeping up with it like I intended), but it was an excellent study, and you did a great job "moderating". Thank you for your hard work and diligence.

The Lady said...

Thank you, Ann. I'm glad you could participate as much as you did.

lucy said...

agree

pay for essays said...

Love have purpose, but if it loses this purpose it becomes insufferable! I like your post and would like to share it on my media networks! Thanks a million!

The Lady said...

Thank you so much. You are welcome to share.