Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wednesday, March 6


As I look over all your comments something comes to mind. It seems it is hardest to be diligent in areas that involve walking in the spirit. We can be diligent with the work we are paid to do, diligent in following our hobbies or sports teams, diligent even with our money (some of us, anyway) – all things that give fleshly satisfaction or prevent pain/discomfort in our flesh. Why is it that the spiritual things take so much more work? In Romans 7 Paul wrestled with this fact:

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 

In meditating on this, I began to think about the difference between the demands of the flesh and of our spirit. Our flesh is loud. "I'm hungry NOW. I want to feel good NOW. I DESERVE this. I want to spend my time THIS way – it's more fun. This crisis demands my attention NOW. I'm too tired."  Our spirits are not so demanding. They, like the small voice Elijah heard on the mountain when God came to him, call quietly. True, if we don't listen we will feel a void or longing; but our flesh is quick to find other ways to try to fill that void or longing with something quicker than study, more exciting than prayer, easier than service.

God knows this. Why else would he need to warn and encourage us to remain diligent? The battle, as Roger likes to say, is in our minds. We get to decide who wins. That's a good thing! - and a hard thing. That means there is no excuse. We have to choose to be diligent.

I also have experienced that when I am regularly feeding my spirit, its voice becomes louder. It actually begins to compete with my flesh. Sometimes it even creates a spiritual crisis which is an opportunity to grow. And of course my flesh finds this very uncomfortable.

So far we have defined diligence and looked at things that get in the way of it. Today your assignment is to go back to your verses from day one and give some examples of how to be diligent in the area specified. I didn't specifically choose a passage to share on day one, but I did mention Hebrews 6:11 so I'll do that one. For me, a practical way of making sure I remain diligent in caring for the needs of the saints is to actually make a prayer list of needs and pray for opportunity to help. As I type this I realize I don't currently have one so that will be my challenge to myself before I post again. Making the list makes me do a couple of things I don't naturally do: actually look for and remember others' needs, and then look for a way to help out. I do tend to get weary sometimes, but the second part – praying for opportunity – reminds me that I can do what is needed if I use God's strength instead of trying to do it myself.

I'm looking forward to reading your practical ways to keep yourself diligent. Be specific – if you need to study more, tell us what your plan is to help you make sure that happens. Meanwhile, I'll be making my list...

5 comments:

Jennifer Froelich said...

Thank you, Debbie! I really like the way you expressed that struggle between flesh and spirit. That helps me a lot.

My verse from Monday was Proverbs 4:23, and is about diligence in guarding our hearts. In my version (NASB) it uses the word "WATCH" -- as in watch over your heart diligently.

My kids are now teenagers and I remember when I was a teenager being amazed by what my friends' and peers' parents DIDN'T know they were doing!

I have prayed throughout motherhood to keep open eyes so that I might see clearly what my kids' strengths and weaknesses are and so that I won't be willingly blind to their faults and temptation.

This week, I will add to those prayers, asking God to keep me diligently watchful over them. When I see them struggling with something in particular, I will share with them scriptures (we have a chalkboard we use for this) that will motivate them to turn to God for support.

michelle said...

My verse was: “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6: 6-7 NKJV

I am blessed with the gift of homeschooling my children and I really love that I can put into our school schedule a time for Bible study (we all know that doesn't happen in public school today). This makes it a lot easier to be diligent in teaching my children daily about God and how important it is to be thinking about Him always in everything we do.

michelle said...

My verse was: “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6: 6-7 NKJV

I have been blessed with the opportunity to homeschool my four children and I love that I can block out a specific time for Bible study as part of our school schedule. (we all know that doesn't happen in public school today). I find this makes it much easier to be diligent about teaching my children about God and of course when it is not officially school time I do try to speak of Him in all things.

psychomom said...

Wow, you know how to force me to step on my own toes...;) The first verse I chose Prov. 6:6-8 is about the ant who has no overseer or captain, but remains diligent with self-motivation. My subconscious took over to choose that one, because this has always been one of the biggest struggles in my life, to be diligent when I have no one to answer to but myself and God (and God never reprimands me face-to-face, but through scripture... which I'm not reading if I'm not being diligent...vicious cycle!!) The most effective way I have found for myself, knowing me as I do, is to have a "study buddy" so that I DO have someone else to answer to, someone who will be asking if I did my study for the day. I guess I should ask someone to be my buddy again...it has worked great in the past, as long as we don't let it peter out, but make it a lasting habit.

psychomom said...

By the way, I think another reason we all struggle with being diligent in the spiritual sense is because heaven seems so far off in the distance, and it's something we can't even see or fully comprehend. It's easy to get caught up in life "under the sun" because it's right in front of us, it IS immediate, as you say. The rewards and consequences are palpable. Reminding ourselves of some ethereal, far-off reward (or punishment) is hard to maintain. It helps to count our spiritual blessings daily that we ARE enjoying now....the peace of knowing our reward is assured, the comfort of knowing that God loves us SOOOOOO much and always wants good things for us, the joy of happy relationships with our spiritual families (and the confidence that they will always be there for us when times get hard), the joy of serving our God and Savior....stuff like that!