Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday

How do we know when to wait? What does it mean to wait on the Lord. I'll give you a few of my thoughts and I hope you will all give yours.


A primitive root; to bind together (perhaps by twisting), that is, collect; (figuratively) to expect: - gather (together), look, patiently, tarry, wait (for, on, upon). Strongs

In Isaiah 40 the context is a discussion comparing God to false gods. The main idea is that because our God is truly diety, we can know that He is in control even though it seems like He doesn't know the trouble in which we find ourselves. It is a really comforting passage.
So waiting on the Lord involves being patient in difficult situations, knowing that in the end God will make it right. That would include doing the right thing even when it feels scarey or inappropriate. When it comes to applying this principle to specific situations it can be somewhat difficult, I think, because we don't get to see the big picture. Obviously we have examples of godly men in the Old Testament waiting and trusting in very difficult situations and EVENTUALLY, in HIS timing, things are made right. (Example: Moses, Joseph) So how does it apply in everyday situations that are not necessarily moral like buying a new house. Or does it? My own belief at this point is that it applies in this way: I have a plan, but I know God may have a different one so my attitude is one of submission. Just because I run into obstacles doesn't mean it isn't God's will but I am open to that possibility. I ask Him in prayer and explain my reasons (sometimes this is enough for me to see that my will isn't matching His) and do my part but leave it up to Him. I am then OK with whatever outcome happens. This may involve putting a time limit on it - not to manipulate God, but to give myself a time to let go if needed. The bottom line is really an attitude of submission and acceptance.

So what do you all think?

2 comments:

Drama Queens said...

OK--so I think maybe what I have thought all along may be exactly how you put it, debbie, but I just get a little confused when there is all of this talk in the outside world about "listening for God to speak". Not that I think He can't-of course He can, I just don't believe he audibly speaks anymore. What about when you hear the voice inside you--I know your conscience can lead you in the wrong direction--but when it is leading me to remember something I just studied that helps me figure out a problem I am facing--is this the Holy Spirit? Or is this the fruit of studying the Bible? Or does it even matter??? I have a tendency to overanalyze--so if that's the case I can be ok not knowing--I am just so curious about this.
I continued on in my book today and finished another lesson. The author is discussing how God used many different forms to speak to people--her most prevalent example in this lesson was the donkey speaking to Balaam in Exodus. I do think she has a good point when she states that sometimes we get SO wrapped up in what we want that we just conitnue on about our way charging through stumbling blocks instead of looking at them and praying for help in discerning if it is meant to steer you in a different direction--or just something to overcome. I think this ties in w/both your comments, Debbie, and Julie's from yesterday. In the end--the attitude of submission to His will and realization that my intended ways are not always the best or even right.
As for Aaron, he did well. He should be up and around in a few days. And--if there are a ton of typos I apologize--I don't have my contacts in and I can hardly see the screen even when I squint--and T broke my glasses--so there you have it.

Audrey said...

Done for yesterday and today. Just keep forgetting to post. :)