Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Assignment for Wednesday, May 13

What does it mean to be led by the Spirit? In today's lesson we take a look at some passages dealing with how the Spirit has and does lead in the lives of believers. Once again I caution you to look carefully at the passages and consider her conclusions.

I would like to add a little to her discussion. There are several passages which talk about the Spirit living "in" us. Just what does that mean? One of today's passages is Romans 8:9. Look closely at that passage. It is an impossibility for me to be in the Spirit and the Spirit to be in me at the same time if we are talking about location. "In" is not a location. I believe it is a relationship quality. I have a relationship with the Holy Spirit when I live by faith. I listen to what He told the apostles to write. He influences my behaviour and attitude. I become like Him as I mature in my faith. We have similar terminology in our language. "I can really see her mother in her." What does that mean? We see the influence and effects of her mother in her because they are so much alike in some way.

I'd love to read your comments on this topic.

Week Two, Day Three

4 comments:

psychomom said...

-The Spirit declares the words of Jesus (this was to the apostles, and through them to us)
-We are led by the Spirit (again, through the words of Jesus and the apostles)
-The needs that the Spirit meets (I had a little trouble getting her drift here) are security, assurance of salvation (same thing?), and blessing
-The Spirit helps us to pray
-The Spirit met the needs of the first century church in one way by giving individual members miraculous gifts...words of wisdom, words of knowledge, faith, healings, miracles, prophecies. I'm not sure if she thinks we receive these same types of gifts today...
-The Spirit, through the Word, develops fruit in the lives of believers
-One of the most recent times that I had no idea what to pray for was during our worst dealings with Hunter. I'm sure the Spirit was really groaning on my behalf at that time, because I just didn't know what was best...one of those times when you have no control of the situation, you don't know what to do, and you have to rely on God's love, grace, and wisdom to see you through and show you the way...it's very humbling. But God (and the Spirit!) led us through those dark days and I know He will again.
-The Holy Spirit helps us in our weaknesses
-We are told not to quench the Spirit
-God owns the rights to our lives
-Do not grieve the Holy Spirit, with whom you were sealed...
-Eph. 4:31 demands that we put away bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, evil speaking, malice
-True repentance comes from godly sorrow
-Holding on to or nurturing a past sin...some I did when I was younger but the memories of youthful sins definitely fades over time...some I repented of more than once...

Jennifer Froelich said...

Done for today. I have to admit, some of this gets my head spinning. I think everytime I study about the Spirit, I gain more knowledge -- but probably only a little more each time! :) It really struck me in today's study that He was called the Spirit of Truth (John 16:13). In a world where people professing the same faith (Christianity) will have completely different ideas about how to worship God, it's amazingly important that we let the Truth guide us.

"Since we are led by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not be conceited, provoking and envying one another." Gal. 5:25-26

okay, that should have been "live by..."

Audrey said...

Done for today.

I've always loved the passage in Romans 8. There was a time a few years ago when I was going through some emotional trauma. I was so traumatized that I would just lay on my bed and cry out to God but not really know what to say or how to express my feelings or needs and had no idea where to go from there. This verse would always come to my mind. I could envision in my mind the Spirit moaning on my behalf and God searching my heart. These verses were such a comfort to me because I knew that the Spirit was interceding and God was listening and searching my heart. What an awesome promise!

Drama Queens said...

done for today