Monday, March 23, 2009

Assignment for Monday, March 23

Welcome to week twelve of our study. This week's questions are a little different from the rest of the book. I've thought about different ways to study this chapter and have decided to break it up into at least two weeks, maybe three. What I hope will happen with this chapter is that when we are finished we will each have a list of creative ideas of how we can encourage just about anyone in any situation to which we might be exposed. I plan to save all your suggestions so when I am not feeling especially creative myself, I can use them to encourage others.

Today's assignment is to answer the clearing the cobwebs question, question 2, and the first three parts of question 3. Everyone feel free to add their own ideas - even if it isn't your day to post.

In answer to the cobwebs question, I personally prefer several small things throughout the year - unless it's something really spectacular that I have been wishing for!

Keep practicing your memory verse!!!

3 comments:

Tam said...

Hey Debbie, I'm thinking you meant our assignment is Clearing the Cobwebs, question 1 and the first three parts of question 2, is that right? I think that's what I'll go for ;)

Audrey said...

Pretty much done for today though I'm still thinking about the second and third parts of question 2. My idea for an encouragement for a college student far from home is to invite her over for a Sunday afternoon. I remember my parents doing that when I was younger, and we still have contact with those ladies. I've never been a college student far from home, but I would imagine that would be encouraging to me.

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another in brotherly love in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in dilience, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
Rom 12:9-11

psychomom said...

I too enjoy smaller gifts more often than one grand gesture that "gets you off the hook" for the rest of the year!

1. The excuse that often pops in my head is that my family's needs take all my time and energy...I don't have any leftover to do a good deed for someone else! I'm learning to ignore that little voice...

2.college student - something I remember from being a college student far from home is that my great-aunt and uncle would have me and my boyfriend over ever other Saturday to do our laundry and feed us dinner. It would take us several hours as it was pretty much ALL our clothes, but it was a standing "date" with them and we really looked forward to it. I'll never forget that kindness (and you don't have to be related!)

single, working woman - single people often get overlooked when it comes to small gatherings. If you're not a "couple", people sometimes assume that you would be uncomfortable coming to a dinner that includes couples or families. Include them. You could also plan a shopping or museum or movie date with a single woman. Single people are also easier to invite over on the spur of the moment to watch a video or sporting event or something.

A new bride - type up a few of your very favorite recipes and give to her with a pretty ribbon tied around it, or buy her a little book of housekeeping shortcuts!