Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday, April 25

 There are four passages in the New Testament that use the term "brotherly love" in the New King James Version.  One of them is the passage we have been studying.  The other three are:

 Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Remember the prisoners as if chained with them—those who are mistreated—since you yourselves are in the body also.   Hebrews 13


Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. 10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;  Romans 12


But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; 10 and indeed you do so toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more;  1 Thessalonians 4


Here are some things I notice from these passages:
Hebrews 13:  It is on-going.  It's not a one-time event.  It involves service and involves putting yourself in the other person's place so you can know what to do to help them.

Romans 12: It involves actually liking each other, letting others have their way whenever possible, takes diligence (sound familiar?), and is how we serve the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4: God teaches us to have it.  It is wider than just the members of my local congregation.  It is something that should always be increasing in my life.

Assignment for today:
Tell us how you can like someone who annoys you (Romans 12:10).

1 comment:

michelle said...

There was a woman I worked with years ago, and I did not like her, the strange thing is I couldn't even say why, she just rubbed my the wrong way you might say. Being a Christian I knew that I still needed to treat her with respect and kindness. I made it my goal whenever she was around to be just as kind as I would to someone I liked. Matt 7:12 "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets"