Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday, April 5

Our original question was "What do I do now that I am a Christian?"  Some people may be looking for a checklist of things to do, but our Father expects more than that.  He wants our heart.  So it shouldn't be a surprise that His version of a checklist in 2 Peter has to do with character.  It is easy to understand; takes a lifetime to "check off."

Where are you in your life?  Single, married, mom, grandma, divorced, widowed, stay-at-home, in the work force...  So far we have seen that it starts with faith and then continues with diligently adding virtue, knowledge, and now self-control.  Each woman's challenges will look a bit different, but that are all really the same challenge.  We are all to become godly in our actions and thoughts, diligently study and pray, and let what we are learning control our actions and thoughts.

With all my dietary challenges, I have found that educating myself about how food affects my body makes eating properly (using self-control) much easier.  In fact, it makes eating foods that are bad for me unappetizing.  My knowledge gives me self-control.

In our spiritual lives it works the same way.  As we diligently add knowledge of God and His Word to our lives we should see our self-control begins to happen somewhat naturally.  God's Word is incredibly powerful.  When we add prayer to that mix, we can truly say with Paul, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  For me this is incredibly encouraging!  He does not ask me to do, not do, or give up anything outside of our (He and me) ability.

There is another way God gives us to help develop this trait - our spiritual family.  Being with other Christians in study, prayer, and even social gatherings is an important part of God's plan for us.

Today's assignment:
1.  Find a passage that deals with spending time with Christians.
2.  Explain how this passage can help us develop self-control.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Hebrews 10:25 "...Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

This takes self control because it is much easier to just stay home and not attend services. But, oh the blessings we miss out on!!